Friday, 8 January 2010

Christmas Morning Muffins



A new family tradition. I decided in my wisdom that I really didn't have enough to do on Christmas day so I ought to do some baking (that was mild sarcasm by the way....) These muffins are worth it though, If only for the wonderful aroma that emerges whilst they are baking.

I took a leaf out of Nigella's book and prepared as much of the mixture as possible on Christmas Eve so it was really quick just to mix it up and bung them in the oven on Christmas morning.

I really wanted to make something yummy that my family would forever associate with me and Christmas. I really wanted to eat them warm with lashings of butter and marmalade (so much that I had to send Mr M out to the Co-op on Christmas Eve to buy me some marmalade). I really wanted us all to enjoy them with a glass of bucks fizz whilst opening Christmas presents. Of course, I want never gets and due to an unfortunate vomiting episode on Christmas morning I never truly got to enjoy these in the way that I intended. They have however gone down a storm with the robins and blue tits over the past few days.

I shall persevere with my new tradition again next year as they were easy, they did smell wonderful and they tasted great too. Well worth a second attempt I think!

Recipe makes 12 muffins.

Christmas Morning Muffins

Ingredients

For the muffins;
200g plain flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
75g demerara sugar
good grating fresh nutmeg
1 clementine or small orange
approximately 50ml milk
60g unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
150g dried cranberries

for the topping:
2 teaspoons demerara sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Method

Preheat the oven to 200ÂșC/gas mark 6.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, bicarb and sugar, and grate over a generous amount of fresh nutmeg.

Squeeze the orange or clementine juice into a measuring jug, then pour in milk on top till it comes up to the 150ml mark.

Add the melted butter and the egg, and beat to combine. Pour the jug of liquid ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir till the ingredients are more or less combined, remembering that a lumpy batter makes light muffins.

Last of all, lightly fold in the cranberries and fill the muffin cases or cups. The amount of cranberries specified here makes for heavily fruited muffins; if you want them sparser, use half the amount.

Mix together the demerara sugar and ground cinnamon and sprinkle over the tops of the muffins. Pop them in the oven and bake for 20 minutes until they are golden brown.

As Nigella suggests, you can eat them as they are or with jam or marmalade. Definitely best served warm though.

love & kisses
Mrs M x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!