Monday, 24 May 2010

Oven Chips



Okay, so chips - it's hardly rocket science is it? Yet it still amazes me how many people reach for the bag of Mccains - I'm not being snobby about it, I used to love a portion of crinkle cut home fries but once you've made your own oven chips it's quite hard to believe you settled for the frozen variety. Homemade just taste so much nice, much fluffier and far far tastier.

My chips are made in the usual straightforward way - scrub the potatoes (leaving the skin on), cut them into chunky chips or wedges, rinse them - dry them well, lay them on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and a bit of salt and roast them in the oven at around 200degrees for about 45mins and voila! Delicious homemade chips.

I now own a deep fat fryer and recently tried making stringy fries in it, but as yet have not tried chunky chips. I fear it will be a slippery slope if I start making chips in the fryer so am resisting as much as I can.

For more homemade chip recipes - well more flavours and other resources check out Love Chips, a website that was setup by the Potato Council for National Chip Week.

love & kisses
Mrs M x

3 comments:

  1. My husband really wants a deep fat fryer but I'm doing my best to get him to resist, I fear it will be the beginning of the end! I tend to make my own chips and wedges too but do have an emergency bag of oven chips in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be too tempting wouldn't it?! I got my fryer to make doughnuts & chicken etc but if I taste the chips out of it, they'll be no going back!

    (I also have an emergency bag of oven chips!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't beat a home made chip can you? Lovely!

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!