Thursday, 13 May 2010

Paprika Chicken


Yes, another stonking recipe from BBC Good Food. There really is no end to the great things they come up with is there? I've made this several times over the past few years and I always really enjoy it. It's a really warm and filling dish and not a huge amount of effort, which is always a good thing!

I realise the picture above isn't the most interesting of photos, it's all a bit, well, orange isn't it? That will be the paprika of course! But it really is a tasty one-pot meal so do try it!

Paprika Chicken

Ingredients

3 tbsp olive oil
3 skinless chicken breasts, chopped
1 onion, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
500g potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp sundried tomato paste
1 paprika
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
100ml medium-dry sherry
300ml tub fresh chicken stock
4 tbsp soured cream, to serve
handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped, to serve,

Method

Heat 1 tbsp oil in a deep frying pan over a medium heat. Season the chicken and add to the pan. Fry for about 4 mins until browned all over and then remove from the pan and put to one side.

Heat the remaining oil in the pan and fry the onion for about 3 mins, until it is just softened, then add the garlic and cook for a further minute.

Add the potatoes, mustard and sundried tomato paste to the pan, and cook for 1 min. Stir in the paprika, vinegar, sherry and stock. Bring to the boil and allow the liquid to reduce for 2 mins.

Return the chicken to the pan, cover and simmer for 10 mins. Stir well and simmer with the lid off for another 8 mins, or until the sauce is thickened and the potatoes and chicken cooked through.

Check the seasoning and serve with soured cream and a sprinkling of parsley.

I have adapted the recipe slightly from the original as the original uses chicken thighs (8 of them!) and I have to admit here that I don't like thigh meat, I always cook with chicken breast and I also just want it to serve the two of us. There's probably a bit too much potato for just two, but it's so nice we always end up eating it all. Piglets.

You could serve this with any vegetables you like really. I tend to dish up with some thickly buttered crusty bread on the side - perfect for dipping in the sauce!

love & kisses
Mrs M x

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I made this tonight and it was loverly. I often buy vac pack bags of diced chicken (assume mixed white and dark meat) from a stall at local farmers' markets who have a free range farm so I used a pack of that instead of either the original version or yours. Also, Asda didn't sell sundried tomato paste (wtf?) so I just used plain old tom puree. I didn't add any parsley at the end.

    I think it's a dish that grows on you as you eat it. At first, it tasted very "chickeny" but as you ate more, the paprika flavour came right out. I really liked the soured cream on top - had forgotten how much I really like soured cream so will be using that again.

    Will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it. I must admit I don't always use sundried tomato paste - if I haven't got any in I'll just use puree like you did and I'm always guilty of skipping herbs!

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!