Monday, 10 May 2010

Pineapple Upside Down Cake


The old ones are the best aren't they? I haven't had Pineapple Upside Down Cake in as long as I can remember. My parents and grandparents were never big on the cooking side so such treats were generally only dreamt about after too much Enid Blyton or Milly Molly Mandy.

I felt the need for a bit of therapeutic baking today but didn't want anything too fussy or complex and this seemed to fit the bill. I love that it's such a retro dish.

The thing I like about this cake is that it's more dessert than cake. It's slightly on the moist (or soggy) side, therefore it's best served warm with a big splodge of ice-cream but it can be eaten cold like a normal cake too if you prefer. It actually goes a bit firmer that way.

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Ingredients

For the topping;
50g softened butter
50g light soft brown sugar
7 pineapple rings in syrup, drained and syrup
glace cherries

For the cake;
100g softened butter
100g golden caster sugar
100g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs

Method

Heat oven to 180C/gas 4.

For the topping, beat the butter and sugar together until creamy. Spread over the base and a quarter of the way up the sides of a 20-21cm round cake tin. Arrange pineapple rings on top, then place cherries in the centres of the rings. (I found I could only fit 6 pineapple rings in but perhaps I had extra large ones!)

Place the cake ingredients in a bowl along with 2 tbsp of the pineapple syrup and, using an electric whisk, beat to a soft consistency. Spoon into the tin on top of the pineapple and smooth it out so it's level.

Bake for 35 mins. Leave to stand for 5 mins, then turn out onto a plate.

Two things, make sure you drain the pineapple really well as that will help make sure the cake doesn't go too soggy and also if you are using a loose bottomed cake tin make sure you put a tray or foil under it in the oven as the sugary syrupy goo leaks out and makes a right old mess.

Right, on that note I am off to get a large slice before I settle down to watch this weeks Glee. Do you think Pineapple Upside Down Cake goes well with red wine?


love & kisses
Mrs M x

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, that looks good. Yet ANOTHER cake to add to my to-make list!

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!