Tuesday, 8 June 2010

Blue Skies & Pigsties

As we weren't getting another form of holiday this year (due to me being too tight to pay...) we decided to go back to Suffolk for the second time in less than twelve months, this time taking the kids. If you've never been to Suffolk, you should go. It's a beautiful part of the country, the food is amazing and the people are the friendliest I've ever met - especially out in the small village communities.

We book Shell Cottage in Aldeburgh with the lovely people at Best of Suffolk, having previously used them before. The week started off well with a lovely welcome pack hand delivered by Mr Lawson of Lawsons Deli! Lawsons sells the most wonderful food, it's well worth a visit. The cottage was great and perfect for our little family as it was so well equipped. There was a travel cot and highchair which saves haven't to cart your own around, TV, DVD player, a great selection of books and DVDs and the kitchen has everything you might need including a washing machine and dishwasher. My only (small) gripe was lack of Freeview/Freesat - It did mean I couldn't watch my beloved Glee but thanks to the handy Sky app on the iPhone I managed to record it!

Aldeburgh is a great place to take a place - some nice shops, a few good restaurants (we ate at Regatta one night with the children and it was lovely), a good sandwich shop called Munchies that does amazing breakfast baps, a small cinema. It's just a nice place to mooch around. The fish and chips here are extremely well known but I have to say that perhaps I am spoilt where I live as I didn't think they were up to much to be honest and so not worth the queue!

The weather wasn't great to start with, the first half of the week was a bit miserable but boy did it heat up towards the end of the week. Phew. Highlights of the trip included Southwold, a place we love, but it was very blustery so some respite & refreshments in the cafe on the pier was required!


We also visited Walberswick which is a fabulous little place, famous for it's crabbing which a lot of people were doing. The kids were fascinated by it, there must have been hundreds of crabs in buckets!


and whilst the weather was a bit rough I managed to squeeze in a bit of family tree research (I am such a geek) and we stumbled across this gorgeous tiny village called Wissett were my children's great great great great great grandmother was born (on Mr M's side). It was beautiful and the church was fascinating as there aren't that many round tower churches left anymore. I've turned into a bit of a church bore since starting the family tree.


Middle of the week and the weather started to improve in time for a trip to the Suffolk Show. What a great day out! I thought it was a little pricey however we spent 7 hours there so definitely got our money's worth. The only thing I can compare it to is the Royal Show or Town & Country Festival that used to be held at the NAC in Stoneleigh, Warwickshire but it was far better and a bit more country. We had a great day which involved lots of looking at baby animals and eating a lot of junk food. A highlight for Mr M and I was seeing an Apache Helicopter up close and then seeing it in the air - they are beasts! Highlight for the kids was holding the cutest baby duck ever! My boy just couldn't resist sneaking in a kiss.

We even managed to sneak in a beach day! We'd been to Great Yarmouth earlier in the week but it was very cold so when the weather perked up we abandoned plans to visit Jimmy's Farm and marched off to spend the day on the beach. We took our beach tent and a stack of newspapers and the kids played merrily in the sand. I first went to Great Yarmouth a few years back pre-kids and wasn't very taken with it but this time I saw it through new eyes - there is so much going on here, lots to entertain kids with, I'm sure we'll be back.


And all too soon it was time to wave goodbye to Aldeburgh and it's blue skies. What a shame to leave on a day like that!


love & kisses
Mrs M x

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lovely time. I love the shot of the pig and her piglets - sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, the duckling pic! Too cute!

    Glad you had a good time, looks like a great place. A part of the country I have never been so will have to go there sometime.

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!