Friday, 28 October 2011

Honey Sesame Chicken


Oh. Em. Gee.

That's all I am going to say about this.

Okay, not really but honestly, wow. This Honey Sesame Chicken was amazeballs.  I stumbled across this recipe on the fantastic My Kitchen Snippets blog when I was specifically looking for a honey chicken recipe. I had amazing honey chicken when at Yak and Yeti at Disneyworld in Florida this summer and ever since have been craving it so I thought I'd have a go at making some myself.  For some reason honey chicken just doesn't seem so prevalent here in the UK as it is in the US but it should be!

I can't put into words how much Mr M and I loved this, he was especially impressed with my kitchen prowess... For sure, this one is a complete keeper.

I am reposting the recipe but you can see the original here. The only things I have changed is a few American-isms (is that even a word? it is now). The recipe below will serve 2.

Honey Sesame Chicken

Ingredients

3 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp Chinese rice wine
1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp cornflour
Salt & pepper to taste

For the sauce;
3 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
1-2 tbsp honey (depending on how sweet you like it, I used 1.5)
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce
60ml water 

Toasted sesame seeds

Method

Marinate the chicken with the soy sauce, wine, sugar, sesame oil, salt and pepper and set aside for at least an hour. Just before frying mix the two types of flour together and mix it into the chicken.

Prepare the oil for frying (Although the recipe doesn't specify, I shallow-fried). Fry the chicken until golden brown, remove from the pan and drain on a paper towel. Remove the oil from the pan.

Mix all the sauce ingredients together and pour it into the pan. Bring it to the boil and let the sauce thicken a little.

Add the chicken back in and mix gently until the chicken pieces are evenly coated with the sauce. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and serve immediately with warm white rice.

I do hope you try this, it might be my favourite recipe of all time!

love & kisses
Mrs M x

14 comments:

  1. I'll be round to sample them shortly.....*wipes drool with small not-quite-clean child*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is cornflour the same as corn starch, Mrs. M?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This puts me in mind a bit of Honey Chilli Chicken which is a staple part of any Chinese menu in Northern Ireland. However no sign of it here, much to my husband's (hehehehehe) disgust. I would imagine you could add chillis to the marinade and sauce to turn this into that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren, I think that would work definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 2 year old pronounced this "delicious" I really loved it, the chicken was so tender and the sauce not too over poweringly sweet. This will become a regular in my repertoire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is perfect time to make a few plans for the future and it is time to
    be happy. I've read this put up and if I could I want to suggest you few fascinating things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles regarding this article. I want to learn even more things about it!

    Also visit my site; homepage

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi to every one, it's in fact a good for me to go to see this web site, it consists of priceless Information.

    Look at my website - website

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's actually a cool and useful piece of info. I am satisfied that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

    my website homepage

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, this was an extremely good post. Spending some
    time and actual effort to produce a superb article… but what can
    I say… I put things off a whole lot and don't manage to get anything done.

    my homepage Christian Louboutin Outlet

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am in fact grateful to the holder of this web page who has shared this wonderful paragraph at at this place.


    Here is my page - Nike Air Max *smu-fr.org*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come across a blog that's both equally
    educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have
    hit the nail on the head. The issue is something not enough men and women
    are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I came
    across this in my hunt for something regarding this.


    Also visit my web site - Boutique Air Max

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like it when individuals come together and share
    views. Great website, stick with it!

    My site: Read This

    ReplyDelete
  13. Remarkable! Its in fact awesome piece of writing, I have got much clear idea concerning from this article.


    Feel free to visit my web blog :: oakley Frogskins

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!