Sunday, 13 November 2011

The tracks of my (tweenage) years part III

It's Sunday night, I'm a little bored and procrastinating (I should DEFINITELY be playing catching up for NaNoWriMo but right now, I just can't be bothered) so I thought I'd carry on from previous blog posts I did in June and July (really? that long ago?) where I was telling you about tracks of my childhood. The first one I did was songs from when I was about 5 years old circa 1984 and the second one circa 1988

Part III is bringing us to the early nineties (circa 1992) and what I will call my tweenage years. I wasn't a teenager until the summer of 1992. I went on a particularly memorable holiday to Ireland with my cousins that summer and there are many songs that take me right back. At this point in my life I wasn't quite sure what I liked - there were very distinct groups at school, not helped by it being non-uniform and therefore very easy to see what your persuasion was.  I, as I do now, fell somewhere in the middle, liking all types of music from the very naff to the uber cool. Generally, it's on the naff side of the scale though as we all well know. 

I'm going to avoid the usual "I Will Always Love You", "Stay" "November Rain" and "End of the Road". They were BIG songs for me that year but I'll pick some different ones.

Was Not Was - Shake Your Head - Now I was always aware this was the delectable Kim Basinger singing, but Ozzy Osbourne? Nope. I didn't know that before tonight!

Madonna - This Used To Be My Playground - This songs always makes me feel a little emotional. I have no idea why as I can't stand Madonna.


Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit - You know those "school disco" albums they do? This would be THE song on it if I had to compile one.


Patty Smyth & Don Henley - Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough - Had completely forgotten about this song until tonight, probably haven't heard it in nearly 20 years and yet, I still remember every word?

Genesis - Jesus He Knows Me - Phil Collins, what else can you say.


En Vogue - Free Your Mind - Arguably one of the best girl groups, ever. Fact. And one of the best songs to sing along to in your bedroom with a mean face on.


Jade - Don't Walk Away - I'm pretty sure I had a dance routine to go with this.


Swing Out Sister - Am I The Same Girl - I loved Corinne Drewery and I still adore this song.


Ugly Kid Joe - Everything About You - Waynes World, Waynes World, Party Time, Excellent. THE film of the year.

Any of those songs mean anything to you? 

What were you listening to in 1992?

love & kisses
Mrs M x

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, 1992...think that was the year we did the school trip to the Isle of Wight. I seem to remember listening to a Now album pretty much constantly on my Sony Walkman which included Wet Wet Wet "Goodnight Girl" and The KLF "Justified and Ancient". Oh, and Crowded House "Weather With You".

    Good times!

    Sx

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!