Friday, 7 December 2012

Friday Foody Round Up #8

Hello!  It feels a while since I've done a Friday Foody Round Up but I've tried a few things recently so it's time to get sharing!

Baker Days


A few months ago I was asked if I would like to try out the cake delivery service from Baker Days. The answer to that would be "of course"!  Baker Days make personalised cakes for all occassions and the best thing about them? They are designed small enough to drop through the letterbox. And even when they've been dropped through the letterbox - they're still perfectly intact. I was rather impressed by the presentation, the designs are so detailed and pretty and was even more impressed when I tasted it - it was delicious! Cakes start from £14.99 with free delivery all over the UK.

Border Biscuits



I was recently sent a selection of Border Biscuits to try. When I say "selection" I think they've kept me in biscuits for 2013...! I was sent lots of wonderful varieties to try as well as a lovely selection tin. Border Biscuits have been making gorgeous biscuits for over 25 years so quite why they've escaped me until now I will never know! The varieties I was sent included strawberry & cream shortbread, toffee apple crumbles, milk chocolate viennese, pecan & maple syrup granola cookies, butterscotch crunch and red berry rascals. In addition to those the tin included chocolate & orange shortbread, black forest cookies, lemon souffle cookies and chocolate & walnut brownies. What a lot of choice, and wonderful flavours. I can promise you they are just truly scrumptious. If you're making a Christmas hamper for family or friends this year, a packet of Border Biscuits would be the perfect inclusion. 

Haagen-Dazs


As I may have mentioned before, I am a "Haagen-Dazs Loves" blogger which means from time to time I receive yummy samples of Haagen-Dazs (who I may add, are very generous with their samples, my freezer is heaving!). One of the latest products I was sent to try was their new "Secret Sensations Meringue and Raspberry Fondant". Now what is not to like about that? I'm not normally a fan of Meringue in any form but the bits were small enough as not to offend me too much and I actually liked the addition. The raspberry sauce however was to die for. I'm a bit of a raspberry fiend especially when it comes to ice-cream and I found this flavour combination fab. This new product is available in packs of two mini-tubs from all good supermarkets. 

Also new at 
Haagen-Dazs is their new Ice Moon cake which consists of a pistachio biscuit base, layers of macadamia nut ice cream and meringue with a coating of raspberry sorbet.  Head over to the Haagen-Dazs Facebook page to find out more about them and how you can get your hands on them!

Manuka Honey



I've long been a fan of manuka honey's healing properties so when I was offered some of the New Zealand Honey Co's manuka honey to try out at the exact time as I was struggling with a sore throat it seemed like fate and I couldn't refuse!  Honey is the perfect tonic for a sore throat as it has anti-inflammatory properties which help reduce swelling and relieve pain whilst the antibacterial action helps fight harmful bacteria. I used to be a honey-hater but since suffering from lots of coughs and colds over the past few years I've grown to love it and get quite addicted to as a remedy. The New Zealand Honey Co's Manuka Honey is available from Morrisons priced at £7.99 - everyone should have some in their cupboard!

Squashies



Swizzels Matlow, who make some of my favourite sweets (Rainbow Drops, Refreshers, Love Hearts, Drumstick Lollies, Double Lollies...) have launched a new sweet called Squashies.   There are four varieties in the Squashies range, taking their flavours from the much loved aforementioned sweets - Love Hearts Squashies, Refreshers Squashies, Drumstick Squashies, Double Lollies Squashies. They are a fun, squashy gummy type sweet and available from most supermarkets with an RRP of 45p for a 45g mini bag and £1.49 for 160g bag.

Burts Crisps



I've reviewed Burts Crisps before and it's fair to say I am a fan (I'm a fan of any crisps, lets face it!). Burts have recently launched the world's first Guinness flavoured crisps with Guinness's secret blend of barley and hops being added to Burt's thick cut potato chips.  I'm not a massive Guinness lover so I was unsure if I would like them or not but they don't really taste as Guinness-y as you might expect and reminded me more of sweet Bovril. That sounds odd, but I did like them and would eat them again! The new flavour crisps are available from Selfridges, Waitrose and Asda with a RRP of 75p for a 40g bag and £1.99 for 150g bag. 

Pataks


During National Curry Week a few months ago I was sent a whole host of Pataks curry pastes and sauces. I think I've blogged about Pataks before but I am a dedicated user of Pataks curry pastes so the varieties they sent me, some of which I hadn't tried or seen before was a very welcome addition to my cupboard! I've made my own curry pastes but honestly the Pataks pastes are SO good there's really no need to. I've tried recipes using my own and a Pataks paste and I couldn't tell the difference for all the extra effort! My personal favourite is the Jalfrezi paste but I was also sent an oven bake Biryani sauce to try and as Biryani is one of my favourite curries I shall be trying that very soon. Check out their website to see their full range. 

Grana Padano


Finally, a while back I was invited to an event with Grana Padano which unfortunately I couldn't attend but they still sent me a box of goodies including a big block of cheese. Anyone who knows me knows I love my cheese so I had to give them a little mention here!  Did you know the first Grana Padano Cheese was produced nearly a thousand years ago in 1135 in Lombardy, Italy? or that it takes almost twenty six and a half pints of raw partially skimmed milk to produce a kilogram of Grana Padano Cheese? No? Me neither! 


That's it for this month, perhaps for this year? The last Friday Foody Round Up of 2012!


3 comments:

  1. Woah! I'm really digging the template/theme of this site. It's simple, yet effective.
    A lot of times it's hard to get that "perfect balance" between usability and visual appearance. I must say you have done a great job with this. Also, the blog loads very quick for me on Chrome. Superb Blog!

    My webpage ... www.articlesbase.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvelous, what a weblog it is! This blog provides useful
    facts to us, keep it up.

    Have a look at my website - basicbrandstudios.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome article.

    Look at my site; license Moneylender

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!