Saturday, 8 December 2012

Product Review: Pictionary


I'm sure most of my readers will be well aware of the popular game Pictionary. I think it's actually one of my favourite board games but oddly until Mattel sent me this game to review I actually didn't own it. It's a game that we often play on girls nights in, with some wine and nibbles and it always pretty hilarious as most of us are rubbish at drawing.

The object of the game is to sketch drawings and get from the starting point on the board to finish. The first team to reach the finish square and guess a final sketch correctly is the winner. 

What's in the box? In the box you get 123 adult cards, 83 junior cards, 2 card boxes, 4 category cards, 4 pencils, 4 drawing pads, 1 game board, 4 playing cubes, 1 sand timer, 1 die and an instruction sheet.


In the adult card deck there are 5 categories - Objects (things that can be touched or seen), Person/Place/Animal (Names are included), Action (things that can be performed), Difficult (challenging words) and Miscellaneous (this can be any type of word). With the junior cards, the category is stated at the top of the card and all the clues on that card are something to do with that category.

Adult cards
Junior cards
The colours of the categories relate to the coloured squares on the board. Unlike most other games you do not roll the die to start with and instead the starting "Picturist" takes a card from the op of the card deck and looks at the word to be played.  The timer is turned over and the "Picturist" has one minute to sketch clues to their team. If a guess is correct the team continues to play by rolling the die and advancing squares and so on. As long as a team stays in control of the die, they continue to sketch and roll. 

Occasionally you'll kand on an "All Play" square - these are my favourite. This means that all the teams involved participate in the guessing of the clue at the same time. Whichever team guesses correctly takes control of the die and continues in the game.  If you land on a Wild Square, the "Picturist" can look at the card and choose any category to play, again I like this feature as I can pick the easiest one to do!

There are of course some rules. You can draw anything related to the word, regardless of how tenuous the link is, you can break down the word into syllables and you can do things like draw "dock" for "doc" and "flu" for "flue" etc.  You CAN'T use "ears" for "sounds like" or dashes to show the number of letters in the word, you can't use letters or numbers, speak to your teammates or use sign language! How strict you are is up to the teams playing...we're quite strict when it's just adults but a bit more lenient when there are children involved!

Some of the words are can be sketched quite easily, for example, taxi, top hat, kangaroo, message in a bottle and football wouldn't be too difficult however thinks like rejuvenate, high tide, Lake District and miss the boat would probably have me stumped.

Please do leave a comment, if you can work out my three pictures ;)
You do need to play this in teams so it's a game for a minimum of 4 players but the inclusion of junior cards (suggested age 8+) makes this a great family game.  We have big plans for a family tournament over the festive season!

The Pictionary Family Edition Board Game is available now from all good toy and game retailers (and the good thing is, it does't matter if you're truly rubbish at drawing as you can see from that picture above!).

With thanks to Mattel for supplying this game for review.

6 comments:

  1. Good article! We will be linking to this particularly great post on our
    site. Keep up the great writing.

    My web site; Www.Youtube.Com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi everyone, it's my first visit at this site, and post is really fruitful for me, keep up posting these types of articles or reviews.

    My blog: http://www.dailymotion.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to
    give a quick shout out and tell you I truly enjoy reading through your
    articles. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that
    deal with the same topics? Thanks for your
    time!

    Also visit my web page: candy crush saga hack

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why visitors still make use of to read news papers when
    in this technological globe all is accessible on net?

    my homepage: Codes Psn Gratuit

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am curious to find out what blog system you're utilizing? I'm experiencing some minor security problems with my latest blog and I would like to
    find something more safe. Do you have any suggestions?

    Feel free to surf to my web page :: League of legends Hack

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that is one of the so much vital info for me.
    And i am glad studying your article. But should commentary on few normal issues,
    The website style is great, the articles is truly nice : D.
    Just right activity, cheers

    Also visit my web page :: Minecraft Crack

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!