Thursday, 21 February 2013

Apricot and Almond Cake


Without blowing my own trumpet, I think this cake is one of my proudest creations. Okay, it doesn't look much to look at but it tasted fabulous and I completely winged it.

I recently acquired some old cookbooks, varying in age and some are obscure local WI type publications. One of them had a recipe for apricot cake in submitted by a local lady bake in the 60's. I love apricots and I love cake, I had all the ingredients in and so I thought why not, lets go for it.

My biggest stumbling block was cake tin size, as it was an old book it wasn't very specific. I had a 7inch and a 9inch and after much Twitter debate, I opted for the 7inch as I didn't really want it to be too thin. It turned out perfect, although I think if I had an 8inch that would work fine too.

And then there was the method. It was really basic and what was there was completely different from how I'd make a cake so I rehashed it and basically just made it up and crossed my fingers and luckily it all turned out okay! I also made a couple of additions to the basic recipe - whether they helped or not, I don't know but it tasted divine!  (The ingredient weight aren't that conventional as they're converted from imperial but it works fine!).

Apricot and Almond Cake

Ingredients

225g self-raising flour
110g caster sugar
4 tbsp apricot jam
110g butter (I used Stork)
2 eggs
a few drops of almond essence
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp milk

For the top;
20g flaked almonds
1 tbsp caster sugar

Method

Preheat the oven to 160c/gas mark 3. Grease and line the bottom of a 7inch cake tin with non-stick baking parchment.

Put the softened butter and caster sugar into a bowl or mixer and beat together well. Add the flour, baking powder, milk and almond essence and beat well to combine.  Stir in the eggs, followed by the apricot jam.

Transfer the cake mix into your cake tin and smooth over the top. Cover with the flaked almonds and sprinkle a tablespoon of caster sugar over the top. 

Bake in the bottom of the oven for around 1 hour and 10 minutes. Test with a skewer to make sure it is fully cooked and give it a few more minutes if necessary. Leave to cool in the tin for 15 minutes.

My favourite type of cakes is tea-time style cakes - you know, get a lovely pot of tea brewing and have a big slab of cake on the side, no fuss, just a good simpe cake. I'll be making this to take on picnics in Clementine in the near future!



1 comment:

  1. that looks fantastic. Sounds very yummy too!! well done to you, you should rightly be very proud of that

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!