Wednesday, 13 February 2013

Mrs M's Club Sandwich


This is not really a recipe, more of an assembly.  On Friday or Saturday nights I love a burger, sandwich or wrap type meal. It's what I would call "Friday Night Food" or a treat meal.  I also have a tendency to sway towards American-inspired meals at these times.

A club sandwich normally comprises of a toasted bread sandwich (complete with an additional slice of bread in the middle) with the classic ingredients of turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise and sometimes cheese. I'm more familiar with a chicken club and so that is the basis of this sandwich.

The other difference here is that I didn't put a slice of bread in the middle. I thought about it but I used such massive doorstop wedges for the sandwich I really didn't think I needed it. I also strayed from tradition and used breaded chicken fillets which I thought were a very nice addition.

Mrs M's Club Sandwich

Ingredients

a couple of rashers of thin-cut or streaky bacon
1 large chicken breast 
Iceberg lettuce, shredded
handful of grated Cheddar cheese
mayonnaise
1 tomato, sliced
small crusty loaf 

Method

Preheat the grill. In a large non-stick frying pan, dry-fry the bacon for a couple of minutes on each side until nice and crisp.  Remove from the pan and put to one side.

Put the chicken breast on a chopping board and taking a sharp knife, cut the breast horizontally into four slices. Season and add to the hot pan. Cook the chicken slices for a couple of minutes on each side until golden. Put to one side with the bacon. 

Slice the crusty loaf and lightly toast the bread under the grill.

Spread the toast with mayonnaise (lots of, if you're anything like me) and top one slice with the lettuce, tomato, chicken and finally the cheese before taking the other slice and popping on top to make sandwich. Cut into quarters and skewer each piece with a cocktail stick.

If you want to make the breaded fillet version which I wholeheartedly recommend, then it's as simple as popping it in the oven to cook and if you do want to be more authentic and add in the third piece of bread just repeat with another layer of chicken, cheese, tomatos and lettuce.  Another handy hint if you want to do a shortcut - Waitrose sell crispy bacon strips in a packet that are good to go! So lazy but I always have some in my fridge!  In fact my breaded chicken fillet and ready-made crispy bacon strips make this a very quick dinner to prepare!

I served this some crispy french fries and a pot of coleslaw. Delicious!


2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    We’ve recently launched the website Alldishes.co.uk. It’s a search engine that aims to gather all the best recipes from UK and Irish websites and blogs. We’ve noticed that you have a lot of great looking recipes on your blog that we would love to feature on our site. To read more about how it all works and to sign up with your blog, please visit: http://alldishes.co.uk or send us an email on info@alldishes.co.uk. We look forward to hearing from you!
    Kind regards,
    Senka

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, that looks and sounds lovely. Like the idea of simple food on friday and saturday. Now the kids eat often at school, I tend to do my homemade versions of their favourites on saturdays as it's the one time I know they'll be in the mood for it, but we always used to just have "deli" bites on saturdays - lots of ham, cheese, salady bits and just graze - it was v yum, quite healthy and something I might reintroduce, especially in the holidays when the kids are eating properly every night!

    ReplyDelete

I always like to hear your thoughts, so please do leave a comment!